Janet Jackson denies cancer rumors

— Janet Jackson said in a statement Wednesday that she does not have cancer after rumors swirled online about her health on the heels of the singer canceling several concert dates due to illness.

“The rumors are untrue. I do not have cancer. I am recovering,” Jackson said in a video released on Twitter, captioned “From my lips…” and set to her song “The Great Forever.”

“Thank you for your prayers and love.”

The singer announced in December that she would postpone several 2016 dates on her “Unbreakable” world tour, telling fans in a Twitter note that she had been advised to have surgery.

“I need you to know, I learned today, from my doctors that I must have surgery soon,” she wrote. “It breaks my heart to tell you that I am forced to postpone the Unbreakable Tour until the spring.”

Jackson didn’t elaborate on her condition at the time, saying, “There will be no further comment.”

A RadarOnline.com article published Tuesday speculated she was undergoing tests for a growth on her vocal chords that could be cancerous. The report cited an unnamed source, and other media outlets picked up the story.

The “No Sleeep” singer’s team decided to address the rumors, citing widespread concern for her health in a Twitter post on Wednesday.

“It was Janet’s wish not to make any further comments about her health, however, because of the great concern from around the world, Janet will be releasing a personal message shortly.”

Jackson, 49, told fans in December she’d be back onstage soon. “Please pray for me, my family and our entire company during this difficult time,” she asked.

The singer postponed several tour dates in October after being advised by doctors to rest her voice, saying she’d return to make up the concerts.

Jackson’s latest release, “Unbreakable,” is her seventh album to chart at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.

The-CNN-Wire

™ & © 2016 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Racist Dr. Seuss drawing up for auction

— A California auction house is selling an early drawing by Dr. Seuss that’s sure to disappoint the parents and children who adore his later work.

The 1929 color illustration for “Judge” magazine depicts a blatantly racist scenario and uses a slur to describe black people. It’s being auctioned for a minimum bid of $20,000.

In the four-panel drawing titled ”Cross-Section of The World’s Most Prosperous Department Store,” the artist depicts scenarios in which rich men can purchase items to make their lives more difficult.

These include a fly for your ointment and a monkey wrench for your machinery. The final and largest panel features a crowd of men rendered in classic blackface caricature, with dark skin and pronounced red lips, being presented to a white shopper. A sign reads: “A n—- for your woodpile.”

Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines the expression “A n—- for your woodpile” as “dated now offensive: something (as a concealed motive or obscure factor) contrary to appearances in a situation.”

A request for comment from Seuss’ publisher has not yet been answered. Bill Dreyer, the director and curator of The Art of Dr. Seuss, declined to comment.

Dr. Seuss, whose real name was Theodor Seuss Geisel, was 25 when the illustration was created. He would begin publishing his popular children’s books eight years later.

The Nate D. Sanders Fine Autographs and Memorabilia website states that the illustration contains “shockingly racist content.” As of 4 p.m. Pacific Time the drawing had no bids listed, though a representative said the item has drawn plenty of interest and is expected to sell. Bidding was to end end at 5 p.m. PT on Thursday.

The auction house will not reveal the seller or the buyer unless given permission.

Dr. Seuss’ history of creating offensive caricatures isn’t a secret.

His World War II depictions of Japanese people have drawn criticism for their portrayal of stereotypical physical features and behaviors. The National Education Association’s Asian Pacific Islander caucus objected to the use of Dr. Seuss as the figurehead for the “Read Across America” campaign in 2003.

Seuss went on to create children’s books such as “Horton Hears a Who!” and “The Sneetches” that espouse messages of tolerance, which some have interpreted as an apology for his WWII propaganda.

People who grew up clinging to Dr. Seuss’ wise words and singular artwork took to social media in light of the recently uncovered cartoon to express their disillusionment.

“Nooooooo!!! Not Dr Seuss?!?! Childhood retroactively blown…” wrote actress Gabrielle Union on Twitter.

Seuss, who died in 1991, is still releasing work posthumously, with his latest title coming out this summer. “What Pet Should I Get?” debuts July 28 and will be the first new, original Dr. Seuss book since “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” in 1990.

The-CNN-Wire

™ & © 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.